The revised Pig Health Scheme began operating in two plants this week.
The scheme, which give producers access to post-mortem health data on their pigs, replaces the British Pig Health Scheme, which was suspended in autumn 2017 due to inconsistencies in the data.
Where is it operational?
The scheme will be operational across 11 abattoirs. The first assessments began this week at Tulip’s Dukinfield abattoir and Woodhead’s Colne plant.
The assessment dates for each abattoir, running between now and September, are listed here.
How to join up
To join, simply register via your online Pig Hub account, the same system used for pig movements.
What if I was a member of BPHS?
Members of the previous BPHS have been automatically enrolled to the relaunched Pig Health Scheme. Existing members need to:
- Check the list of assessment dates for their abattoir
- All pigs will be automatically assessed if they go to a participating abattoir on the assessment day and signed-up Pig Health Scheme members will receive reports within two working days of the assessment
- AHDB’s Guide to scheme and interpreting reports.
- AHDB’s Lauren Turner’s blog about the scheme
- Here is an article in Pig World summarising how the scheme could benefit your business and here is an article about who is operating it
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries