Website Roadhogs Recruitment Ltd.
Roadhogs Recruitment Ltd.
We have a fantastic new job vacancy for a Pig Technician in Reading (RG6).
The role is research-based and involves pig stock duties for a top agricultural college.
They are looking for someone with experience in pig husbandry who can hit the ground running. The candidate should demonstrate high welfare, knowledge, keenness on research and an ability to adapt.
A typical day would include (but is not limited to):
- All aspects of working on a small pig unit
- Paying a lot of attention to detail in the breeding programme
- Liaison with clients who use the piglets for research concerning the timing of farrowing
- Limited involvement in demonstration and hosting visits
- Where appropriate, the post holder would support work in other areas of research
This new job role is rarely routine! And will depend on the adaptability and willingness of the post holder. The chosen candidate will be expected to support a range of activities, including research in forage production, dairy, beef, pigs, poultry, and llamas.
About the unit:
The unit running capacity will be 4 boars, 8 sows, 4 gilts, plus piglets. Some sold at weaning, and some reared to finish.
The unit is a new Finrone/Pigtec system with a dry sow/boar unit, farrowing unit and nursery/grower unit. There will also be an outdoor area to provide ‘environmental enrichment.
This pig herd is closed, and pigs are inbred. As a result, they will require more individual attention than commercial pigs, so although pig numbers are low, management input and attention to detail needed will be high.
Salary guide: £25,000 (rising to £30,000 with yearly increments)
- 36 hour week
- Requested overtime (e.g. weekend rota, every 2nd weekend) would be paid at time x1.5
- Paid holiday
- Employer contribution pension scheme
- Flexibility with work schedules
- Support any relevant aspect of professional development