Website Karro Food Group
We have a new opportunity for a forward-thinking proactive individual who will be responsible for the day to day management and operation of our breeding and rearing pig herds in Gainsborough and Bawtry.
This role will be managing both the farms and their teams, maximizing pig production in line with company policies and procedures, whilst also ensuring compliance with our high standards in regard to farm health & safety and pig welfare.
- Organise the unit’s daily routines in accordance with the procedure manual including feeding, bedding and day to day care of livestock
- Responsible for ensuring the farms have an adequate supply of feed, straw and consumables and an effective reliable water supply
- Continually review farm production and processes where appropriate, propose new initiatives to improve production efficiency
- Ensure all animal husbandry duties are carried out in accordance with the company procedures as outlined in the farm manuals
- Monitor the health and welfare of the animals in your care and alert the breeding herd manager should these be compromised in any way
- Responsible for maintaining farm compliance with the quality assurance partnership schemes ensuring a certified pig supply to the factory
- Organise pig movements in and out of the farm with the agricultural head office
- Manage the weaner pig transfer from the breeding herd and their introduction into the rearing herd
- Complete and report all weekly production information for the agricultural head office
- Responsible for employees, including recruitment and initial training for new employees with support of the HR department
- Control farm input costs to ensure an efficient pig cost of production
- Analyse actual performance against target performance, highlighting areas for improvement and implementing actions accordingly
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Experience of managing outdoor pig units is essential
- Previous experience managing a team
- Managing a multi-site operation would be an advantage
- Excellent communication and team-working skills
- Strong negotiation skills base
- Natural decision-maker, able to exercise judgement and take responsibility for the consequences of actions and decisions
- Determined and resilient, with the drive to complete tasks
- Ability to make positive improvements from constructive criticism
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies’ health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday per year (including bank holidays)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,000 employees over 13 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK’s leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.