Tönnies abattoir ​​​​​​COVID-19 cases pass 1,000 mark

More than 1,000 workers have now tested positive for COVID-19 at a Tönnies abattoir ​​​​​​in northwestern Germany.

The factory was already closed for an indefinite period, following initial reports of the outbreak and this latest increase in the number of confirmed will raise further questions about the timing of any re-opening.

In its latest market update, Thames Valley Cambac said the closure was having a knock-on effect on the UK cull sow market.

According to a report by Reuters, the local health authorities have ordered all 6,500 employees and their families at the Rheda-Wiedenbrück meat processing plant to go into quarantine.

Speaking at a press conference on Saturday, the meat company’s proprietor, Clemens Toennies, described the outbreak presented an ‘existential crisis’ for the company, which has suspended operations as authorities seek to control the outbreak.

“As a company we thought we had done everything right,” he said, adding that the company had struggled to collect the personal data of employees and contractors so that authorities could trace the outbreak,” he said.

“As an entrepreneur I can only apologise. We have caused this and are fully responsible for it.”

There have been a number of significant outbreaks in German pork plants and this incident is a big blow to the country, which is seeing a wider upsurge in cases.

Get Our E-Newsletter - Pig World's best stories in your in-box twice a week
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy
Share.

About The Author

Editor of LBM titles Pig World and Farm Business and group editor of Agronomist and Arable Farmer. National Pig Association's webmaster. Previously political editor at Farmers Guardian for many years and also worked Farmers Weekly. Occasional farming media pundit. Brought up on a Leicestershire farm, now work from a shed in the garden in Oxfordshire. Big fan of Leicester City and Leicester Tigers. Occasional cricketer.