Are you a professional Farm Manager with significant experience in pig farming and an interest in managing an expanding, state-of-the-art, pig unit that supports the University of Leeds’ research developments?
The pig farm is rapidly expanding its role as a research facility, with an £11m investment on both indoor and outdoor pig production facilities in the Centre for Innovation Excellence in Livestock (CIEL). New building is underway, expanding the unit to support around 420 sows plus the related number of weaners that will produce. To head up this expanded operation and its new facilities, we require an experienced pig farm manager with specific experience of indoor pig production.
You will be responsible for the efficient running of the pig farm within the requirements of its core purposes as a centre for research, development and teaching whilst maintaining a commercial aspect.
The whole agricultural estate runs to 317 hectares and is overseen by a Farm Management Company; the arable land is presently farmed by others.
You will support ongoing development of the wider farm estate to ensure it can operate effectively, including identifying opportunities for income generation as well as to ensure the farm operations are sustainable, ensuring that the farms are run under best practice, being a beacon of innovation.
1. Manage and develop the pig farm staff
2. Work closely with academic staff, research technicians and students
3. Be the University’s full time representative on its Agricultural Estate.
4. Manage positive relationships with a range of commercial partners and contractors.
As well as being an excellent pig farmer, you will need to be:
• Commercially aware – able to negotiate and influence others effectively
• Able to undertake management tasks such as budgeting and producing reports
• An excellent communicator with proven experience of building effective working relationships at all levels.
Previous experience of working in higher education or with research partners would be desirable.
In return for you efforts we offer a competitive package, including accommodation plus the opportunity to be a key player in turning a well-respected research unit into a world leading centre of excellence and innovation. For an informal discussion please contact Ian Lindsay on 07802 596869.