Devenish, the agri tech company, has undertaken a pioneering agricultural-development project in conjunction with the Africa Agri-Development Fund, supported by the Departments of Agriculture and Foreign Affairs and Trade in the Republic of Ireland.
The project, which started in June 2013, has seen the creation of a Devenish Performance Pig Unit and Feed Mill, which produces pig and poultry feeds, in the Hoima District of Uganda. Devenish’s improved pig genetics and specialised nutrition products are sold throughout Uganda.
In line with the organisation’s strategic objective of ‘making a difference’, the project seeks to make a real and lasting contribution to the agricultural and economic development of the people of Uganda.
This pioneering commercial project aims to transform the pig and feeds industry in Uganda by introducing new high-quality products to farmers for the first time, and by also helping farmers to transition from subsistence to sustainable commercial level farming.
To continue to grow the Devenish brand in Uganda, a unique opportunity has arisen for a Country Manager in Uganda. The Country Manager will have responsibility of Business Development for feed sales in the region, as well as responsibility for the feed mill, pig farm, and all current staff.
To support the Country Manager there is a strong, existing management support team, including a Sales Manager, Office Manager, Outreach Officer and Feed Mill and Farms Supervisors.
In turn, these managers have line management responsibility for eighteen-support staff in various roles in the feed outlets, farm and feed mill.
Based in Hoima and Kampala, the successful applicant will be an ambitious leader, who is flexible and adaptable in new cultures and environments. They will be a resilient, hard-working person who is also committed to ‘making a difference’ to employees, the local farming community and the wider economy in the region.
As a strong network builder, the Country Manager will seek out new opportunities for growth and development. With full support from the organisation’s Belfast Headquarters, the new Country Manager will continue to develop the Ugandan team and manage the projects’ sales and finances.
The main growth in Uganda in coming years will be from the sales growth of the feed products. Supported by the Quality and Technical teams in Belfast, opportunities exist to develop and market new products and deliver on farm services.
The Country Manager would be based both in Hoima, to support the Farm and Feed Mill staff, and the Ugandan capital city of Kampala, where the business sales will grow. Flights, accommodation and transport are provided.
Is this unique opportunity right for you?
The successful applicant for this Leadership role would have the following skills and attributes:
An ambitious leader who is flexible and adaptable in new cultures and environments
- A strong network builder, who can seek out new opportunities for growth and development
- A resilient, hard worker who is also committed to ‘Making a difference’ by improving the area agriculturally and economically
- A problem solver, with experience of dealing with complex business issues
- A self-motivator and can work autonomously, making decisions and driving changes
- Someone who is comfortable with change and new environments
- Someonewhocanmotivate, encourageandinspiretheirteam, throughcoaching, mentoringand leading by example
- A skilled communicator who can fully engage with farmers, councillors, businesses and locals
Do you meet the following criteria?
To apply you must have:
A degree in agriculture, business studies or related subjects with two years’ experience working in sales, management or business development. Experience in agriculture sector desirable.
A minimum of five years’ experience working in agriculture, sales, management or business development.
Additional desirable criteria?
- Experience in the agriculture sector is highly desirable
- Experience of dealing with complex business issues
- Previous experience of working internationally and with different cultures
- Previous experience in Africa on work secondments or voluntary projects
How to Apply?
To apply, please forward an up-to-date CV and cover letter to HR@Devenish.com and let us know why you are right for this role, by Friday 15 March at 5:00 pm.